- Two racks St. Louis Style Pork Spareribs (5 to 6 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon onion salt
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Chopped toasted pepitas (optional)
- Mole Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 18-ounce bottle molasses and hickory-flavored barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- For ribs, combine onion salt, brown sugar, ancho powder, paprika, and oregano; rub on both sides of ribs. Wrap in plastic wrap; let stand at room temperature for no longer than 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line very large shallow roasting pans with heavy foil. Unwrap ribs; place in a single layer, meat sides down, in pan. Tightly cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Drain and discard juices in pan. Turn ribs over.
- For sauce, combine barbecue sauce, brown sugar, cocoa, ancho powder, and black pepper. Spread half of the sauce over ribs. Continue baking, covered, for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until tender.
- Heat remaining sauce in microwave. Transfer ribs to cutting board. Cut into 6 to 8 portions; brush with heated sauce. If desired, sprinkle with chopped pepitas.
Recipe Nutrition Overview
- Calories 655
- Total fat 33g
- Saturated fat 10g
- Cholesterol 190mg
- Sodium 1647mg
- Carbohydrate 36g
- Fiber 1.3g
- Protein 59g